Throughout the 18th section the Blue Trail explores the rolling hills of West Cserhát between Börzsöny and Mátra. The only exception that rises relatively higher is the horst of Naszály near Vác.
Distance 59.2 km
From Nógrád the trail takes you to Nagy-Kő-hegy, a peripheral hill of Börzsöny with a view back on the Danube, Visegrád Mountains and the vast forest of High Börzsöny. It is time to say goodbye to volcanic formations and enter west Cserhát dominated by sedimentary rock. The trail climbs up to the horst of Naszály, which, interestingly, belongs to Pilis Mountains as its bedrock stretches from below the volcanic andesite of Visegrád Mountains reaching the surface here. Past Naszály the trail enters the typical Cserhát landscape with rolling hills and small villages in the valleys. Local settlements have been losing their population as mining and related industries had declined and they lack alternatives and prospects.
- Visit the memorial pole of Pál Rockenbauer (renowned hiker, tv editor, creator of a legendary hiking documentary on the Blue Trail) at Katalinpuszta (the place of his death).
- Make a detour on Naszály to Násznép Cave.
- Visit the Buddhist stupa near Becske on Csiga-hegy with a beautiful view.
Recommended entries and exits
- Magyarkút (OKTPH_85_1): Magyarkút train stop
- Szendehely (OKTPH_86_1, OKTPH_86_2): Bus stop “Szendehely, általános iskola”
- Ősagárd (OKTPH_87_1, OKTPH_87_): Bus stop “Ősagárd, Rákóczi u. 51.” and “Ősagárd, orvosi rendelő”
- Felsőpetény (OKTPH_88): Bus stop “Felsőpetény, szövetkezeti italbolt”
- Alsópetény (OKTPH_89_1, OKTPH_89_2): Bus stop “Alsópetény, községháza”
- Romhány (OKTPH_90_1, OKTPH_90_2): Bus stop “Romhány, Fáradt Vándor Panzió és Étterem” and a“Lilla presszó”
- Kétbodony (OKTPH_91): Bus stop “Kétbodony, községháza”
Update: June 02, 2021
Rest StopFáradt Vándor Panzió
- Look for the markers at the level crossing of the train station in Nógrád.
- Take the road from Becske train stop to Becske (2 km).
- The bus stop in Becske lies on the Blue Trail.
- In Nógrád, free of charge parking near the train station building.
- In Becske park your car in the village center.
34T 353965 5307322
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Basic gear: hiking boots, seasonable wear, drinking water, food. Use Természetjáró app. to navigate.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view