The hikers’ center of Galyatető renovated in 2014 is an up-to-date and comfortable facility meeting the modern needs of hungry and tired hikers. The building complex (770 sqm for 52 guests) truly represents the meeting of past and present as it is a remodeled office and workers’ hostel used during the construction of the nearby hotel in the late 1930s.
The combination of traditional and modern materials, such as andesite from Mátra and exposed concrete also enhance this harmony. Chief architect Csaba Kovács meant to build a cultural bridge between past and future.
The interior was designed to create an ambience that matches hikers’ need for a cozy and pure environment. Scandinavian style furniture and a fireplace with a size that makes it appropriate for open-fire cooking all contribute to this image.
The use of modern technology allowed for environment friendly solutions, such as led lights, solar collectors and panels for heating and hot water as well as a rainwater toilet flush system.
The hikers’ center meets the needs for accommodation of every hiker, such as double bedrooms with a bathroom, putting up a tent in the yard, multi-bed rooms or bivouac rooms in the lookout tower next to.
- 2 rooms with double bed, 3 rooms with three beds, 1 room with four beds. Each with a separate bathroom and toilet. 1 barrier free room downstairs.
- 4-bed (bunkbeds) compartments for 32 guest on the second floor with common bathrooms and toilets.
- Pitches for 10 to 15 tents in the yard with common bathrooms and toilets.
- Galya lookout tower nearby provides three rooms for bivouacking. The observation deck offers a stunning view over peaks of Mátra. It is open all year round. Electricity and wifi are available. Sleeping bags and mats are not provided.
- Right next to the hikers’ center the detached Galya Apartment House offers 6 rooms with double bed, 2 bathrooms and 2 toilets for up to 15 guests.
- Restaurant and coffee shop: meals and snacks for non-residents too; half-board for residents available.
- Test center and shop: Outdoor sports gear, such as shoes, bikes, boots and other equipment are available for testing. Bike and ski repair service.
- Meditation room: a silent room in the yard without windows; light gets in through holes arranged in constellations
- Lookout tower: prize-winning tower just 300 meters from the center; renovated in 2014
- Ski and boots storage downstairs in the hikers’ center
- Outdoor facilities: terrace and garden
- Leisure activities: hiking, skiing, guided tours, biking, bike rental, testing outdoor equipment, bike repair.
- Internet access: wi-fi available all around
- Parking: Free
- Further services: luggage storage, washing and drying, boot drying, banquet, ski storage, bike wash
GeneralYear built 2014
Bad weather tip
Wireless LAN / 3G up
Check service provider’s website for prices
AddressGalyatető Turistacentrum/Hikers’ Center
Kodály Zoltán sétány hrsz. 1182/20
Disability accessby car
- From bus stop “Kodály Zoltán sétány”, head east along the Yellow (S) Trail and walk 400 meters to reach the hikers’ center.
- The center lies on the Blue Trail. It is 11.2 km from Kékestető along the Blue (K) Trail with an elevation gain of 450 meters. From Mátraszentlászló, it is a hike of 4.2 km.
- Galyatető is a real hiking hub and several trails converge here, such as the Blue (K), Yellow (S), Blue+ (K+), Green• (Z•), Green▲ (Z▲), Red ▲ (P▲) Mátra bérc (M) and Mária (ᵯ) Trails. From Mátramindszent along the Red (P) Trail, for example, it takes a hike of 8.4 km with an elevation gain of 700 meters to reach the center.
- From Gyöngyös, Galyatető is accessible on Road 24. Turn left at the junction of Parádsasvár.
- From Hatvan, drive on Road 21 via Pásztó.
- Both routes are quite winding as they lead through Mátra Mountains so stunning landscape is guaranteed.
- Parking is free of charge around Galyatető Turistacentrum.
Galyatető Turistacentrum/Hikers’ CenterGalyacentrum
- Routes nearby
- 14 Routes nearby