Vitányvár is regarded as one of the most romantic castle ruins in Hungary. It is located in the northern part of Vértes just above Körtvélyespuszta. Its construction is believed to date back to the years past the Mongol Raid. The ruins are partly overgrown.
As usual, the castle changed hands many times as owners included King Sigusmund of Luxembourg, the Rozgonyis and István Héderváry. However, its first owner is unknown. Based on researches it might have been a member of the Csák clan. The first castellan mentioned by documents was Mihály II of Gutkeled from 1319 to 1324 and the castle was first referred as a royal property in 1379 under the name of “Castrum Vitam, Vytam or Wyttam".
The castle is the venue for a romantic legend. Lord of Gerencsérvár Miklós Újlaki wanted her beloved daughter Krimhilda to marry a German earl. However, she fell in love with the lord of Vitányvár Imre Hédervári. One night she eloped with her lover and hid in Vitányvár. The furious father besieged the castle but failed. One of Hédervári’s men betrayed him and he leaked about a secret entrance to Újlaki, who sneaked in the castle, knocked Hédervári unconscious and kidnapped his daughter. Just for sure, Újlaki immured her daughter alive in a cellar of his castle. Secretly, one of Újlaki’s men fed Krimhilda through an opening to keep her alive. In the meantime, Hédervári made a complaint to King Matthias, who travelled to Vitányvár to handle the situation. By the time he arrived Újlaki had regretted his evil actions. Fortunately and to his surprise, he found his daughter alive and gave his blessing to her marriage with the Lord of Vitányvár.
The castle was besieged by the Turkish troops twice. First, in 1529 they failed but later in 1543 they could capture it. Over the next decades the castle changed hands twice and in 1579, Miklós Pálffy recaptured it once again. Next year, when the Turkish made another attempt the defenders chose to blow it up. From the 18th century the castle was a property of the Esterházys, and later castle stones were scavenged. The Society of Vitányvár regularly makes efforts to do minor renovation works on the ruins.
The archeological excavation of the castle is underway under the management of Kuny Domokos County Museum so it is accessible only via the Blue L (KL). The Green L (ZL) trail from northeast is closed.