This car tour winds through the countless hairpin bends and peaks of the Dolomites' Passes around the wonderful and unique "Sella" Group, the huge mountain range that dominates the valleys of "Fodom" in the province of Belluno, "Badia" and "Gardena" in the autonomous province of Bolzano and "Fassa" in the autonomous province of Trento.
These valleys are all inhabited by people who speak the Ladin language, which belongs to the group of Romance languages and derives from Vulgar Latin.
The people in these areas are known to be strongly connected to the traditions of the past, so much so that they still pass them on today: alpine farming with cows and goats, mowing the meadows and pastures for the hay harvest, making cheese and dairy products, and forestry work to prepare wood for the long winters.
But also many village festivals linked to the calendar of the past, marked by the seasons and the rhythms of work: the patronal festival, the Ladin festival that brings together all four valleys, the summer festival, the autumn festival, solemn ceremonies for festivals such as Christmas and Easter.
The Passes concerned are: "Campolongo", "Gardena", "Sella" and "Pordoi".
Choose a speed that respects the road traffic regulations and traffic and that corresponds to your driving skills.
Please, rispect other drivers.
Always let someone know where you are going and the approximate duration of the hike and avoid going alone.
The telephone number in case of emergency is 112 or 118 (ambulance).
Getting thereBy car
- From Innsbruck A22 Brennero highway to the Bressanone tool booth, continue through the Pusteria Valley, Badia Valley and the Campolongo Pass
- From Verona/Milan A22 Brennero highway up to Egna Ora tool booth, continue for Fiemme Valley, Fassa Valley, Pordoi Pass, Arabba
- From Venice A27 highwayway tool booth Belluno follow the Agordina 203 to Agordo, Caprile e Arabba.
Nearest railway stations
- Belluno - 70 km
- Brunico - 48 km
- Ponte Gardena - 51 km
- Brunico - 47 Km connection by SAD line www.sad.it
- Belluno - 70 km - connected by the Dolomitibus www.dolomitibus.it
- Venice Treviso/Venice Marco Polo - 160/170 km
- Innsbruck - 140 km
- Verona - 270 km
- Milan Bergamo/Milan Malpensa - 310/400 km