Leaving Old Bakony behind the region shows different faces. On the outskirts of Bakonynána you will explore the picturesque gorge of Római-fürdő (Roman Bath) then climb across a working woodland to Tési-fennsík (Tési Plateau). The small karst plateau has an extensive cavern underneath and its surface is an excellent location for leveraging wind energy as two old windmills demonstrate it.
The trail descends from Tés to the legendary gorge of Burok-völgy (Burok Valley). On the outskirts of Bakonykúti you will encounter spacious treeless hills with no or just a little shade to enjoy on a hot summer’s day.
Next you will arrive at the reservoir of Fehérvárcsurgó and the park of Károlyi Castle. Finally, Bakony says farewell with the scenic valley of Gaja Creek to arrive at Bodajk along a disused ski slope with a view over Vértes, the next mountain to explore.
- „The capital of Bakony": Zirc abundant in attractions
- Károlyi Lookout tower near Bodajk with a view over the valley of Gaja Creek
- A detour to the Cavern Research Center of Csőszpuszta.
- A short detour to Római-fürdő, one of the most beautiful waterfalls of Bakony
- A short detour to Gróf Széchenyi Zsigmond lookout tower between Jásd and Tés with a splendid view to the north
- Several hikers’ lodges in Kisgyón, an ideal location to stay overnight
Recommended entries and exits
- Bakonynána (OKTPH_44): bus stop “Bakonynána, Petőfi Sándor utca“
- Jásd (OKTPH_45_1, OKTPH_45_2): bus stop “Jásd, autóbusz-váróterem”
- Tés, Csőszpuszta (OKTPH_46 közelében): bus stop “Tési elágazás”
- Bakonycsernye (OKTPH_47_1, OKTPH_47_2 közelében): bus stop “Bakonycsernye, kisgyóni elágazás”
- Bakonykúti (OKTPH_48): bus stop “Bakonykúti, Szabadság utca”
- Fehérvárcsurgó (OKTPH_49): bus stop “Fehérvárcsurgó, kastély”
Rest StopFehérvárcsurgói Vadászház
Károlyi-kastély Hotel & Restaurant (Fehérvárcsurgó)
Tips and hints.
- In Zirc the train station and the coach station neighbor each other. Head left along Állomás Street and take the Blue Trail (K) at the end.
- Csókakő train stop located near Bodajk lies on the Blue Trail (K).
- Free of charge parking in the parking lot outside Zirc train station.
- Free of charge parking in Bodajk town center or at the crossroads of Május 1. Street and Táncsics Mihály Street.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Basic gear: hiking boots, seasonable wear, drinking water, food. Use Természetjáró app to navigate.
Basic Equipment for Long-Distance Hikes
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- Tent (3- or 4-season)
- Stove (including fuel and utensils)
- Sleeping mat. Sleeping bag with suitable temperature rating.
- Toiletries and medication
- Toilet paper
Things to Bring if Staying in a Mountain Hut
- Toiletries and medication
- Quick-drying towel
- Ear plugs
- Sleeping bag liner
- Alpine club membership card if applicable / ID
- Coronavirus mask and hand sanitizer
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.