The name Gerecse is supposed to derive from the Slavic „grics" meaning “steep cliff”. And yes, the mountain is characterized by a varied landscape with island-like mounts of various size and chains of peaks divided by narrow valley and bumpy basins. The cliff lookouts provide a stunning view over the mountains scattered by small villages, especially the northern ones close to the Danube with a view over the neighboring Börzsöny on the other side.
The ideal season for hiking through Gerecse is springtime when the scent of flowering wild garlic/ramsons spreads around mixed with fresh sprouting trees and green fields. Gerecse is renowned for Jurassic ammonoid limestone so called “red marble” and Dachstein limestone hiding caves and Triassic Megalodus fossils. Basins with former mines extracting coal from Eocene/Oligocene sedimentary bedrock represent another world leaving distinctive traces on the villages nearby.
Although elevation gain is low (below 500 meters) so expect to hike up and down several hills. Over the first 50 kilometers the trail avoids settlements so sufficient food and water is advisable.
- Visit Somlyó peak (435 m) for stunning view accessible from the hikers’ lodge near Somlyóvár along Blue ▲ ( K▲).
- Visit the unique open-top Jankovics Cave above Mogyorósbánya.
- Natural springs are scarce. Make sure to have sufficient water supply.
Attractions with a detour
- Szelim Cave above Tatabánya (similar to Jankovich Cave).
- Via ferrata above Tatabánya.
- The Natural Reserve Area of Kálvária-domb in Tata with an open-air geological museum.
Recommended entries and exits
- Tatabánya (near OKTPH_57_1, OKTPH_57_2): Tatabánya railway station or bus stop “Tatabánya autóbusz-állomás”
- Tardos (near OKTPH_58): bus stop “Tardos, autóbusz-váróterem”
- Mogyorósbánya (OKTPH_62): bus stop “Mogyorósbánya, községháza”
- Tokod (OKTPH_63_B): bus stop “Tokod, Hősök tere” or “Tokod, Községháza”
- The Blue Trail crosses Szárliget railway station.
- The Blue Trail crosses Dorog railway station.
- From the bus stop take Hantken Miksa Street branching off from Esztergomi Street to reach the train station, which lies along the Blue Trail.
- Free of charge parking behind Szárliget railway station building in the parking lot of the supermarket.
- Park your car in the parking lot opposite to Dorog train station building. Exit the roundabout in the center along Esztergomi Street and cross the rails. Take the first right and past the supermarket right again onto Bányász Körönd. Turn right at the church onto Brikettgyári Street, which leads to the parking lot.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Basic gear: hiking boots, seasonable wear, drinking water, food. Use Természetjáró app. to navigate.
For the via ferrata trail in Tatabánya gear is available at the operator.
Basic Equipment for Long-Distance Hikes
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- Tent (3- or 4-season)
- Stove (including fuel and utensils)
- Sleeping mat. Sleeping bag with suitable temperature rating.
- Toiletries and medication
- Toilet paper
Things to Bring if Staying in a Mountain Hut
- Toiletries and medication
- Quick-drying towel
- Ear plugs
- Sleeping bag liner
- Alpine club membership card if applicable / ID
- Coronavirus mask and hand sanitizer
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.