Having passed Sárvár historic downtown and lakes a paved road takes you out of town. From there onwards the trail traverses extensive plains and clearances in large forests. Volcanic peaks of Kisalföld punctuate the skyline and hikers walk over geological traces of past volcanic activity.
Almost overlapping with St. Mary Trail the Blue Trail skirts small forest chapels to reach Gérce. The nationwide famous Farkaserdő (Wolves’ Grove) offers two educational trails for a short detour to discover local wildlife. The trail passes two forester’s lodges before arriving at Káld.
The trail crosses Hosszúpereszteg to reach Szajki Lakes, where 10 dams make a series of reservoirs to provide recreational facilities in a relaxing lakeside environment. Approaching Sümeg you will easily identify the solitary Castle Hill, which marks the beginning of the mountainous part of the trail in Bakony Mountains.
Major points of interest:
- Sárvár: Nádasdy Castle and Museum, arboretum, boating Lake, spas
- Sitke: Calvary Chapel
- Alginite Mine between Sitke and Gérce
- Kissomlyó: volcanological trail
- Sümeg: Triassic horst, medieval festival, pork knuckle
Points of interest with a short detour:
- Kalapos-kút (spring) with Kissitke POW camp WW1 memorial
- Sitke Castle
- Farkaserdő: mushroom trail, Grave of Forester Lőrinc Scherg, ancient oaks, educational trail
- Chapel of Káld-Hidegkút
- Káld: Scherg Lőrinc Lookout
- Borgáta: spa and water park
- Szajki Lakes
Recommended entries and exits
- Gérce (OKTPH_10_1, OKTPH_10_2): bus stops Gérce, könyvtár or Gérce, autóbusz-váróterem
- Káld (OKTPH_13_1, OKTPH_13_2): bus stop Káld, Pusztalánci utca
- Hosszúpereszteg (OKTPH_14): bus stops Hosszúpereszteg, iskola; Hosszúpereszteg, autóbusz-váróterem; Hosszúpereszteg, Hunyadi u.
- Szajk (OKTPH_15): bus stop Szajki tavak
- Kisvásárhely (OKTPH_17): bus terminus Kisvásárhely
Safety informationBeware of road traffic along paved roads and at major crossroads.
Tips, hints and linksSárvár, Nádasdy Castle
- Follow the Blue+ (K+) marker from Sárvár railway station and hike 1.3 kms westward or 1 km eastward to reach the Blue (K) Trail.
- In Sárvár head east from “Batthyány utca” bus stop along Batthyány Lajos Street and head left to Kossuth Lajos Square with the Blue (K) marker at the end.
- From “Kórház” bus stop walk 300 meters northwest or 200 meters southeast to join the Blue (K) Trail.
- In Sümeg both the railway station and the coach station lie on the Blue (K) Trail.
- Free parking at Sárvár railway station. Free parking all around the town with a time limit of 1 hour.
- Free parking in Sümeg.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Summers in Kisalföld are hot so make sure to have sufficient water. Wear comfortable shoes for the flat area. Make sure to have a rain protection kit in rainy seasons. Use Természetjáró app to navigate.