Volcanic activity not only takes but gives too. The place of devastating eruptions has turned into a peaceful and rich landscape. The 5th section of the Blue Trail is short but matterful. The trail will take you among hills of strange shape in an area of most exciting geology. You will get an insight into the geological and social effects of volcanic activity with large buttes and basalt organ pipes as well as wine culture on volcanic soil.
Past Malom-tó in Tapolca the trail follows paved roadways for long to approach Szent György Hill. It traverses vineyards and enters a tougher terrain past the hikers’ lodge. You will encounter the organ pipes here for the first time and the trail keeps steeply ascending. It is just a short detour to visit the peak for the stunning view and the trail returns to the flat terrain.
The next settlement along the trail is Szigliget with its castle and wines offering a cozy ambience. You will proceed to Badacsony, which is probably the best place to interrupt hiking to swim in the lake.
Covering one of the sections near Balaton is just the perfect option to complement a beach holiday, too.
- Szent György-hegy, the home of basalt pipe organs. Spend a night in Kaán Károly Hikers’ Lodge at the bottom of the hill.
- Going to Szigliget takes you the closest to the lake during your hike. Take a swim besides wine tasting and visiting the castle.
- On Szent György-hegy take a detour from Tarányi wine press house to Ify Chapel and from Kaán Károly hikers’ lodge to Örömhírvétel Chapel (Chapel of Annunciation). Follow the Yellow (S) markers.
Recommended entries and exits
- Kisapáti (OKTPH_28): bus stop “Kisapáti, autóbusz-váróterem”, train station “Nemesgulács-Kisapáti”
- Szigliget (OKTPH_29_1, OKTP_29_2): bus stop “Szigliget, Fő tér”
Tips, hints and links.
- The Blue Trail passes by the railway station in Tapolca.
- Although the railway station in Badacsonytördemic is a stamping location it is 100 meters off the Blue Trail.
- Free of charge parking at the railway stations.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
Basic gear: hiking boots, seasonable wear, drinking water, food. Use Természetjáró app. to navigate