One of the most atmospheric trails in the Danube Bend area with a narrow, single-file path levelling among peaks of Visegrád Mountains. It used to be a hunting path, today it is a hiking trail offering a great view over deep valleys of the mountain. When Spartacus Trail traverses barren slopes you can enjoy the amazing beauty of Danube valley, Szent Mihály-hegy and the blanket of forest covering surrounding slopes. Steep slopes, volcanic rock formations and Apát-kúti-völgy (Abbey's Spring Valley) with its rapids and trout ponds each contribute to make your hike memorable.
If you wish for a hike in a picturesque environment but not for a great physical challenge, Spartacus Trail is a proper choice. The trail levels all the way without tiring ascents traversing forests of the Danube Bend and is possible to complete in a few hours.
- Optionally, you may complete a round-trip if entering Apát-kúti-völgy you turn right towards Pilisszentlászló and follow the Red (P) trail (and not left towards Visegrád).
- Make sure to wear sturdy boots in rainy/snowy weather and mind your steps. The path traverses some exposed sections where a slip may be painful or fatal.
- No water source along the trail. Make sure to carry enough.
- From the bus stop in Pilisszentlászló take Béke Street on the left and follow the Green (Z) markers.
- Follow the Red (P) markers to reach the ferry in Visegrád. Turn right before the underpass and take the stairs to get to the bus stops (buses towards Budapest), and take the stairs on the other side of the underpass to get on buses to Esztergom.
- In Pilisszentlászló, free parking at the end of Béke Street, near the football field
- In Visegrád, park our car at Telgárthy-rét in Apát-kúti-völgy. At the ferry port take the street uphill (Rév Street, then Nagy Lajos Street and finally Mátyás király Street) and drive into the forest until the spacious Telgárthy-rét (meadow). Start your hike along the Green + (Z+) trail.
- If you wish to complete the whole trip and not a round-trip, park your car in Szentendre and take a bus to either of the entry points (frequent bus service). Free of charge parking near the terminus of the suburban train (HÉV), accessible from Dunakanyar-körút.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
- Basic gear: hiking boots, seasonable wear, drinking water, food.
- Use Természetjáró app to navigate.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.