The trail starts from the brickyard of Solymár and enters Pilis Mountains. Past a climb to Teve-szikla it will cross the saddle of Kevélyek and traverses on the side of Hosszú-hegy. Before entering Visegrád Mountains at Pilisszentkereszt Pilis gives you a memorable farewell gift in Dera-szurdok (Dera gorge) with moss-covered rocks, beeches with twisted roots and sweet bridges over the creek.
Hiking from west to east this is where the Blue Trail enters a truly mountainous environment. Although Visegrádi-hegység (Visegrád Mountains) is neither very extensive nor very high its volcanic formations, valleys in radial arrangement and contiguous forests make it very much different from other mountains of West Hungary. It lies in the inner volcanic belt of the Carpathians with a chain of former volcanoes stretching across country borders from here to Hargita Mountains.
The trail passes by the volcanic rocks of Zsivány-sziklák and, of course, the flat-topped volcanic Dobogó-kő with its renowned view over the Danube Bend.
- The trail passes by Teve-szikla near Pilisborosjenő. It is a short detour to visit the nearby castle ruins built as a movie set in a legendary historic film on the siege of Eger by the Turkish (Egri vár).
- Make a detour to hike the ridgeline of Nagy-Kevély (534 m) from Kevély-nyereg.
- Make a detour (3 km) to the ruins of a Cistercian Monastery near Pilisszentkereszt and Klastrom-kút (Red (P) and Green (Z) markers).
Recommended entries and exits
- Pilisszentkereszt (OKTPH_73_1, OKTPH_73_2): bus stop “Pilisszentkereszt, Pilisszántói elágazás”
- From bus stop “ Solymár, Téglagyári bekötőút” follow the Blue+ (K+) markers (400 m, stamping location).
- The Blue Trail passes Báró Eötvös Loránd hikers’ lodge visible from the bus stop.
- Free parking in front of Rozália brickyard and on the roadside.
- Paid parking in Dobogókő.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
Basic gear: hiking boots, seasonable wear, drinking water, food. Use Természetjáró app. to navigate.