As the trail leaves Piliscsaba behind it enters Buda Hills (Budai Hegység) and starts an ascent through Kőris-völgy and Bükkös-árok to arrive at the plateau near Nagy-szénás Hill with sparse pine groves and dolomite grasslands. Nagy-Szénás is probably the most special peak around the capital. Its treeless grassy peak offers a 360 degree view over the mountains around and Budapest. The hillside with pine groves at the bottom adds a kind of Alpine ambience to complement the landscape.
The trail ascends along a rocky track and arrives at the outskirts of Nagykovácsi. Take a pause at Muflon Itató Pub for refreshment. Make a detour to Solymár, to Ördöglyuk cave or the peak of Sziklás-hegy.
The Blue (K) Trail climbs up to Remete-hegy and then descends from rock to rock into the steep gorge of Ördög Árok Creek with Remete-barlang (Hermit Cave). Past a few hundred meters you will arrive at District 2 of the capital. Hike along the streets of serene atmosphere to pass the shrine church of Máriaremete and Nagy-rét to arrive at the terminus of Gyermekvasút (Children’s Railway) in Hűvösvölgy.
- Make a detour along Blue ▲ (K▲) to visit Dévényi Antal lookout tower aka Jenga tower near Piliscsaba (Nagy-Kopasz-hegy).
- In Nagykovácsi Nagy-szénás nature trail joins the Blue Trail and they merge for a while. Make a detour to complete it. It gives an insight into rare natural beauties of the slope awarded with the “European Diploma of Protected Areas” title. This is the home of Pilis flax with a highly protected status and you may encounter several orchid species.
- From Hűvösvölgy climb along the Yellow (S) trail to Nagy-Hárs-hegy to visit Kaán Károly lookout tower and along Yellow ▲ (S▲) to Kis-Hárs-hegy to visit Makovecz lookout tower.
Recommended entries and exits
- Nagykovácsi (near OKTPH_67): Bus no 63 at bus stop “Nagykovácsi, községháza”
- Solymár, Templom tér (near OKTPH_67): Bus no 64A and 164 at bus stop “Solymár, Templom tér”
Tips, hints and links
Gyermekvasút (Children's Railway)
- The Blue Trail crosses Piliscsaba railway station.
- Head north along Bajcsy-Zsilinszky Street from bus stop “Piliscsaba, iskola” and turn onto Vasút Street to reach the stamping location at the train station.
- From bus/tram stop “Hűvösvölgy” walk up the stairs towards the Children’s Railway. Turn left at the top towards the station.
- Free of charge parking near Piliscsaba railway station. From Fő Street turn onto Bajcsy-Zsilinszky Street and then turn left onto Vasút Street to reach the parking lot.
- Paid parking near tram terminus and Gyermekvasút terminus in Hűvösvölgy as well as 400 meters to the north on the corner of Ördögárok Street and Hidegkúti Street.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
Basic gear: hiking boots, seasonable wear, drinking water, food. Use Természetjáró app. to navigate.