As you cross the bridge over Ördög-árok Creek and leave the bustling Hűvösvölgy behind you are back in nature with various attractions.
You will encounter a stone lion under the shade of twisted moss-covered oaks watching grazing stone goats and pass the royal hunting forest of King Matthias where aristocrats were chasing deer, roe deer and wild boar 500 years ago. War graves commemorate a more recent historic importance of this area since this was the main direction of the attempt to break out of the encircled capital during the siege of Budapest in February, 1945.
Lookouts on Látó-hegy and Hármashatár-hegy provide a majestic view over Budapest and you may even stay overnight in the local hikers’ lodge. The trail traverses over an easy terrain with a cooling shade of mixed woods making this section one of the easiest but most exciting parts.
- Museum of Children’s Railway
- Gliding airfield
- Hunting forest monument
- Oroszlán-szikla (Lion rock)
- Árpád lookout
- Guckler Károly lookout tower on Hármashatár-hegy
Attractions with a short detour:
- Cavern of Pál-völgy
- Cavern of Szemlő-hegy
- Újlaki-hegy lookout point
Rest stopFenyőgyöngye vendéglő
Safety informationYou will hike over rocky terrain. Mind your steps especially in rainy or foggy weather. The trail traverses more treeless areas. Make sure to have sufficient water (although many public wells and vendors will be passed).
- From bus/tram stop “Hűvösvölgy” walk up the stairs towards the Children’s Railway. Turn left at the top towards the station ()
- From bus stop “ Solymár, Téglagyári bekötőút” follow the Blue+ (K+) markers (400 m, ).
- Paid parking near tram terminus and Gyermekvasút terminus in Hűvösvölgy as well as 400 meters to the north on the corner of Ördögárok Street and Hidegkúti Street.
- Free of charge parking In front of Rozália brickyard and on the roadside.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
Basic gear: hiking boots, seasonable wear, drinking water, food. Use Természetjáró app. to navigate.