Hármashatár-hegy is a tiny hiking paradise of Budapest. The name refers only to the main peak (495 m) and hill but in fact a group of horst is included in this area. It is covered by a contiguous forest offering places and an atmosphere typical only in much higher mountains with several outcrops, small grasslands and hiking trails. Although it is easy to access by car, options for public transport are limited, which makes this place less crowded than other popular green spots in the capital. There is hikers’ lodge on the peak as well.
The first destination of this short round-trip is the majestic calcareous grassland on the top of Újlaki-hegy boasting a 360 degree view over mountains of Dunazug and peaks of Börzsöny in the distance. After a pleasant hike you will arrive at Virágos-nyereg in a saddle and climb to the peak of Hármashatár-hegy along a rocky path. Besides visiting Guckler Lookout Tower to enjoy the view over Budapest and the surrounding mountains you may also have a meal or stay overnight there. Finally, the trail descends along a rocky path to the starting point.
- You may stay overnight at Rotter Lajos Hikers’ Lodge on Hármashatár-hegy or have a meal in Hangár Bisztró next to.
- Bus service is sparse. Find out about it beforehand.
- The Yellow (S) trail between the peak of Újlaki-hegy and Virágos-nyereg is not well-marked with many unmarked offshoot so it is easy to get lost. It is advisable to download the GPX track.
Tips and hints.
- From bus stop “Szépvölgyi dűlő” follow the Blue ↺ (K↺) along the paved road.
- From bus stop “Fenyőgyöngye” hike along the paved road until you reach the Blue ↺ (K↺) trail (1.3 km).
- Free of charge parking at “Szépvölgyi dűlő” or the end of the paved road.
- Free of charge parking on the top of Hármashatár-hegy and begin/finish your round-trip there.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
- Basic gear: hiking boots, seasonable wear, drinking water, food. Use Természetjáró app. to navigate.