The trail leaves Dorog behind and returns to the world of mountains. Although your hike to the next settlement is not among the most spectacular ones the view over the rocks of Pilis may provide some compensation. It takes a short detour to visit the center of Kesztölc with its narrow winding streets and wine cellars as the trail leads directly to the slope of Öreg-szirt and returns to the road to Klastrompuszta through a calcareous shrubland and a grassy path.
The trail passes Klastrompuszta with the ruins of a monastery founded by Pauline monks in the 13th century and arrives at Piliscsév along a hollow track in loess. Just like Kesztölc the village was re-inhabited after the Turkish rule in the early-18th century by Slovakian immigrants. Past the village the trail runs across fields, mixed forests and groves to Piliscsaba.
This is a relatively level traverse near Pilis so visiting lookouts takes some short detours. These may include Kémény-szikla with a view back on Gerecse or the “Jenga Tower” near Piliscsaba with a view over the area between Pilis and Buda Hills.
- Caves around Dorog: Cave of Sátorkőpuszta (crystal cave), Caves of Kis- and Nagy-Strázsa-hegy
- Nature trail of Strázsa-hegy Natural Reserve
- The karst world of Öreg-szirt with a lookout from Kétágú-hegy
- The view from Postás út (Kesztölc-Pilisszentlélek) on Gerecsére and slopes of Pilis
- Klastrom-szirtek with the entrance to Leány- and Legény Caves (Ariadne Cavern)
- Kémény-sziklák over Klastrompuszta with a view over Gerecse, Zsámbék Basin, Buda Hills and Pilis
- Cellars of Piliscsév carved into loess (“pincefalu”, “pincesor”)
- Dévényi Antal lookout tower aka Jenga Tower near Piliscsaba
Recommended entries and exits
- Kesztölc (near OKTPH_65_1, OKTPH_65_2): bus stops “Kesztölc, Sportpálya”, “Kesztölc, Csurgó”, “Kesztölc, felső”
- Piliscsév (near OKTPH_65_1, OKTPH_65_2):bus stops “Piliscsév, Hősök tere” or “Piliscsév, Takarékszövetkezet”
Rest StopKostel Étterem és Panzió
Tips and hints.
- The Blue Trail crosses Dorog railway station.
- The Blue Trail crosses Piliscsaba railway station.
- Head north along Bajcsy-Zsilinszky Street from bus stop “Piliscsaba, iskola” and turn onto Vasút Street to reach the stamping location at the train station.
- Park your car in the parking lot opposite to Dorog train station building. Exit the roundabout in the center along Esztergomi Street and cross the rails. Take the first right and past the supermarket right again onto Bányász Körönd. Turn right at the church onto Brikettgyári Street, which leads to the parking lot.
- Free of charge parking near Piliscsaba train station.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
Basic gear: hiking boots, seasonable wear, drinking water, food. Use Természetjáró app. to navigate.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.