This section leads deep into the forests of Visegrád Mountains and gives a sense of the character of North Hungarian Mid-Mountains. It is a member of the volcanic Carpathian Range, once higher than 1300 meters. The volcano has greatly eroded over millions of years and today it is a densely forested mountain with valleys in radial arrangement.
Although Visegrádi-hegység (Visegrád Mountains) is neither very extensive nor very high it hides varied landforms. It is the dark andesite rocks, deep gorges, creeks with cascades, the view over the Danube Bend and the chain of volcanic peaks that account for its unique character.
From Dobogókő there is a view over the volcanic teeth of Vadálló-kövek (Vadálló Rocks), Szent Mihály-hegy on the other side of the Danube, which used to belong to Visegrád Mountains. Leaving Dobogó-kő behind the trail ascends into the inner part of the forest, skirts the basin of Sikárosi-rét surrounded by hills and follows the valley of Bükkös Creek to arrive at Pilisszentlászló, the only settlement of the inner Visegrád Mountains. Past the village the trail climbs to the foresters’ lodge at Pap-rét on a saddle.
The last part of the section traverses the northeastern ridge of the mountain with uninhabited intact forests and grassy meadows. Finally, the trail arrives at a little plateau over Visegrád with a view over the densely wooded hills of High-Börzsöny on the other side and begins a descent to the Danube passing the Citadel of Visegrád.
- Eötvös Loránd Hikers’ Lodge: accommodation, restaurant and a museum of hiking.
- Thirring loop trail around Dobogókő (1 hr).
- Hike northwest along the Yellow (S) and Red (P) trail to Tirts Rezső lookout tower for a stunning view over inner parts of Visegrád Mountains, Danube Bend and Börzsöny Mountains (15 min)
- At the end of your hike visit the lookout tower of Nagy-Villám peak above Visegrád for a vista over the Danube Bend and even Mátra Mountains (Section 20-22) is visible in clear weather. Take a pause at the summer bobsled track.
- Take your time to visit the Citadel of Visegrád with its unmatched view over the Danube Bend
Recommended entries and exits
- Pilisszentlászló (OKTPH_76_1, OKTPH_76_2, OKTPH_76_3): bus stop “Pilisszentlászló, községháza”
- The Blue Trail passes Báró Eötvös Loránd hikers’ lodge visible from the bus stop.
- The Blue Trail arrives at the Visegrád ferry port along Rév Street.
- Paid parking in Dobogókő.
- Free and paid parking at Visegrád ferry port.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
Basic gear: hiking boots, seasonable wear, drinking water, food. Use Természetjáró app. to navigate.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.