The church is located in a beautiful natural environment along the Blue Trail on a meadow near the ski slope of Mátraszentistván. It was designed by renowned architect Sándor Hevesy and dedicated in 1942. By today the oldest church of upper Mátra has become one of the symbolic buildings of the mountains. The altarpiece depicting King Saint Stephen, the patron of the church, was painted by Mihály Kátai from Eger.
There are no official documents to prove the origins of the building. Legend has it that the Archbishop of Eger decided to build a common church for the villages of Mátraszentimre, Mátraszentistván and Mátraszentlászló. Each village wished to have it and could not reach an agreement on the site. Finally, the archbishop made a judgment of Solomon and chose a site at an equal distance from the three villages.
The feast day of the church is on August 20, on the day of King Saint Stephen.